The Learning Leader Show With Ryan Hawk
Episode #280: Danny Iny - Why You Shouldn't Go To College
"The future is here. It's just not evenly distributed."
- Commonalities of sustaining excellence:
- An attitude of curiosity - interested. "I wonder why that happens?"
- Sense of things being "figureoutable." They will get it done. Fortitude.
- Danny and I discuss a partnership -- Working together on building a course
- Being "catalytically curious"
- Why start Mirasee?
- Built after previous failure. "On an emotional level, a startup falling apart is like a really rough breakup."
- "Mirasee was the rebound business." It has a value driven ethos. "At the end of an interaction with you, people should like you more regardless of what happens."
- Why build online courses?
- The convenience and practicality. It's "Just In Time" Learning
- Should graduating high schoolers go to college?
- "Probably not. There is an expectation that smart kids should go to college. That it's the ticket to the good life. This used to be true, but it's not anymore. The facts don't back that up."
- "The future is here. It's just not evenly distributed."
- "Those non-specific degrees are functionally worthless."
- "It's not about where we are, it's about where will we be?"
- What should a smart high school graduate do instead?
- Find people you respect and trust in the working world. Offer to work for them for free. Shadow them. Learn from them. Figure out if you want to do that full time.
- This requires people to take initiative and ownership
- Why I started the podcast? -- "To create my own leadership PhD."
- "Pace of education is changing."
- "At the pace of change currently the curriculum being taught will be completely different in 5-10 years."
- You must have:
- You need a deep understanding of your topic
- How to know which online courses to take?
- Think: What am I trying to accomplish?
- Does the course offer this?
- What do I need to learn? To know?
- Does the teacher have a track record of success?
- A course must have a support mechanism... The teacher must stand behind promises made
- The "pilot" program
- Survey audience - data analysis
- Map out curriculum
- Adapt on the fly - take insight to create something great
- Peer to peer feedback system in place
- We learn more from giving feedback to others
- Accountability measures
- Read Leveraged Learning
- Why joining The Learning Leader Circle is a good idea
- Use the "Get To Know You Document"
"It's not about where we are. It's about where we will be."