Episode 202: Jenny Blake - Pivot - What Do You Do When Your Back Is Against The Wall?
Subscribe on iTunes or Stitcher Radio
The Learning Leader Show
"What do you do when your back is against the wall?"
In This Episode, You Will Learn:
- Common themes of leaders who sustain excellence:
- Great listeners -- Not just doing
- Getting the right people in the right seats on the bus
- Design thinking -- Empathy interviews
- Common problem with CEO's? -- They surround themselves with people who only agree with them and fear disagreeing with them
- Requires listening and a culture shift
- Why Jenny left Google
- Taking a leave of absence to write a book -- The impact that had on Jenny
- FONT - "Fear Of Not Trying"
- The process of uprooting her life and moving to NYC
- What do you do when your back is up against the wall?
- Think of a basketball player -- "It's not a 180... it's a pivot."
- "High Net Growth Individuals" -- People always looking to improve, grow, learn...
- Advice to others -- Don't worry too much on a formal business plan or thinking too far in advance. You can't predict it.
- 4 Stage Pivot Method:
- Plant - Strengths
- Scan - People, Skills, Projects, Target
- Pilot - Test. Like a pilot episode of a TV show -- 3 E's - Enjoy, Expert, Expand
- Taking measured risks -- Great originals take measured risks (don't have to "burn the boats")
- Mentors -- "Friend-tors"
- Don't ask a mentor, "How can I help you?" -- Come up with a list of ideas for them and give them away. Proactively help without them asking
- "You can navigate uncertainty. We're always doing this."
- Dealing with Imposter Syndrome
- "Befriend your fear. It's trying to help you based on old scripts."
- What % of your job do you dislike?
- The importance of mediation -- Headspace App
- Gamification -- Daily To Do List
"What does success look like a year from now?"
You may also like these episodes:
Episode 078: Kat Cole – From Hooters Waitress To President of Cinnabon
Episode 071: Nate Boyer - Green Beret, Texas Football, The NFL
Episode 179: How To Sustain Excellence - The Best Answers From 178 Questions
Episode 107: Simon Sinek – Leadership: It Starts With Why
Did you enjoy the podcast?
If you enjoyed hearing Jenny Blake on the show, please don’t hesitate to send me a note on Twitter or email me.
Episode edited by the great J Scott Donnell
The Learning Leader Show is supported by Rhone. Use the code "Hawk" for 15% off. Rhone... premium activewear engineered with principle, performance and progress for the modern man. Rhone builds clothing around 3 main tenants: Cutting-edge Performance, Premium Comfort, and Simplistic Style.