Episode 193: Erik Wahl - How To Rediscover Your Creative Genius
Subscribe on iTunes or Stitcher Radio
The Learning Leader Show
"Performing is not an act of extroversion, it's an act of connection."
In This Episode, You Will Learn:
- The fascination with "live theatre" -- Erik is a performer on stage (art, speaking, message, theatrical)
- "Transport so the molecules in the room change"
- How to reverse engineer what we love
- What happened after Erik was told that "Art was not his strength"
- Relationship with money and success -- how it can be unhealthy
- Why artists have a different take on life... A life of philosophical gratitude
- "I built this plane as I flew it"
- Pursue mastery... Be insatiably curious on how to connect with audiences
- The power of vulnerability and why you should share more of yourself
- First paid gig? $1,000 in LA -- "I probably sucked."
- The tipping point to kick off his speaking/performing career
- The definition of being introverted... Erik is an introvert. He gains energy from alone time... Stage time is where the energy is spent
- Erik's writing process -- "Verbal Vomit" -- Fortunate to have great team of editors
- Why we should all study acting and stand up comedians
- Thinking, "What will fascinate the audience?"
- Pre speech routine -- Stretching, meditation. Taking energy from "Me and giving it to them"
- Decluttering of the mind. Meditate. Think at a higher level
- "Art is about producing... Thinking... Expanding consciousness"
- Understanding the value of being uncomfortable
- "Money is not important to us, we do not sell my paintings"
- Why audiences are drawn to authenticity and trust
- Why we should rehearse creativity on a regular basis
- How much does Erik get paid per speech now? $40,000
- New ideas? Holographs, Drones, Cirque Du Soleil
- "Pursue excellence, pursue mastery... Let the money come where it may"
"Creativity is a muscle that must face resistance to create more... Be stronger."
You may also like these episodes:
Episode 078: Kat Cole – From Hooters Waitress To President of Cinnabon
Episode 071: Nate Boyer - Green Beret, Texas Football, The NFL
Episode 179: How To Sustain Excellence - The Best Answers From 178 Questions
Episode 107: Simon Sinek – Leadership: It Starts With Why
Did you enjoy the podcast?
If you enjoyed hearing Erik Wahl on the show, please don’t hesitate to send me a note on Twitter or email me.
Episode edited by the great J Scott Donnell
The Learning Leader Show is supported by FreshBooks: FreshBooks is offering a 30 day, unrestricted free trial to my listeners. To claim it, just go to FreshBooks.com/Learning and enter LEARNING LEADER in the “How Did You Hear About Us?” section.