Episode 192: Carey Lohrenz - The 1st Female F-14 Tomcat Pilot: Fearless Leadership, Top Gun, Courage
Subscribe on iTunes or Stitcher Radio
The Learning Leader Show
"The best have the courage to step up. Don't ever think others are better than you or they have advantages that you don't. Step up. Do the work."
In This Episode, You Will Learn:
- Common themes of leaders who sustain excellence:
- Mindset about how they view setbacks
- Have a comfort in the uncomfortable
- They are always learning, constantly striving for more
- How JJ Watt seems to embrace "the suck"
- Carey answers the question... "Why was she the first female F-14 Tomcat pilot?"
- Going to Miramar to train as a fighter pilot -- The experience of it...
- Some of Carey's classmates flew in the movie Top Gun
- Call sign: Vixen
- Where was Carey deployed? World wide on aircraft carriers. Discreet missions
- Carey has landed over 150 times on an aircraft carrier and many times at night
- Listen to her detailed description of what it's like to fly at night over the ocean (pitch black)
- An aircraft carrier = "Looks like a postage stamp... I have to land in 1.2 seconds on it"
- How does Carey overcome the palpable fear?
- Why write the book Fearless Leadership?
- The 3 Fundamentals of Fearless Leadership
- Courage -- You will be filled with self doubt. "The best have the courage to step up. The ability to go for it even when they're afraid."
- "The most successful people I've seen do what they need to do even when they don't want to do it."
- Keys to building a great culture
- Be a great wingman
- Get help with your blind spots - have open lines of communication built on trust
- Must hold each other accountable
- What is the military's secret weapon to improvement?
- What was supposed to happen?
- What did happen?
- Why was it different?
- What can we learn from this?
- How do we incorporate this next time?
- The military has the ability and processes in place to learn faster than the competition. Businesses can do this too, but most don't.
- It starts with the Leader -- "This is what I did wrong... And how I will fix my mistake."
"I went from Mach 2 to pre-school."
You may also like these episodes:
Episode 078: Kat Cole – From Hooters Waitress To President of Cinnabon
Episode 071: Nate Boyer - Green Beret, Texas Football, The NFL
Episode 179: How To Sustain Excellence - The Best Answers From 178 Questions
Episode 107: Simon Sinek – Leadership: It Starts With Why
Did you enjoy the podcast?
If you enjoyed hearing Carey Lohrenz on the show, please don’t hesitate to send me a note on Twitter or email me.
Episode edited by the great J Scott Donnell
The Learning Leader Show is supported by FreshBooks: FreshBooks is offering a 30 day, unrestricted free trial to my listeners. To claim it, just go to FreshBooks.com/Learning and enter LEARNING LEADER in the “How Did You Hear About Us?” section.